MATCH RECAP: Sounders FC fall 1-0 on the road to Chicago Fire FC
Sounders FC (8-10-2, 26 points) concluded their two-game road trip with a 1-0 loss to Chicago Fire FC (6-10-5, 23 points) on Saturday night at Soldier Field. Rafael Czichos scored for the home side as Seattle lost their third game in a row. Sounders FC returns home for a game against the Colorado Rapids on Saturday, July 23 (7:00 p.m. PT/FOX 13+, Prime Video, 93.3 KJR FM, El Rey 1360 AM).
Czichos put the home side on the board in the 23rd minute, flicking a ball past goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland on an assist from Federico Navarro. Saturday’s game marked the first meeting between Seattle and Chicago since the MLS is Back tournament in 2015, as well as Sounders FC’s first visit to Soldier Field.
• Sounders FC deployed a 4-2-3-1 formation with four changes from Wednesday’s game in Nashville: Kelyn Rowe, Xavier Arreaga, Danny Leyva and Will Bruin replaced Alex Roldan, Abdoulaye Cissoko, Jimmy Medranda and Fredy Montero.
• Tonight marked Bruin’s 300th appearance in the regular season in MLS, the 14th active player to reach the milestone. He is one of three active MLS players (Kei Kamara, CJ Sapong) to have 300 career appearances and 75 regular season goals.
• With his appearance in the starting XI tonight, Nouhou has 100 career starts in MLS (including the playoffs).
• Xavier Arreaga made his first start since June 18 against LAFC after sustaining a sprained left hamstring. The Ecuadorian appeared as a substitute on Wednesday in Nashville.
• Tonight marked the first meeting between Seattle and Chicago since the MLS is Back tournament in 2020, as well as Rave Green’s first-ever visit to Soldier Field.
• The Rave Greens are now 9-4-4 in the all-time series against Chicago, including a 4-3-2 record on the road.
• Stefan Frei (health and safety protocols), João Paulo (torn right ACL), Raúl Ruidíaz (cut right hamstring) and Obed Vargas (lower back stress fracture) were all absent for the game tonight.
• After last Saturday’s home loss to Portland and away losses this week to Nashville and Chicago, Sounders FC are in the midst of their longest losing streak of the 2022 season.
Seattle Sounders FC 0 – Chicago Fire FC 1
Saturday July 16, 2022
Location: Soldier’s Field
Referee: Pierre-Luc Lauzière
Assistants: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho, Lyes Arfa
Fourth official: Calin Radosav
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
Weather: 70 degrees and cloudy
CHI – Rafael Czichos (Federico Navarro) 23′
SEA – Kelyn Rowe (warning) 25′
Seattle Sounders – Stefan Cleveland; Kelyn Rowe (Alex Roldan 58′), Yeimar Gómez Andrade, Xavier Arreaga (Jackson Ragen 65′), Nouhou (Dylan Teves 83); Danny Leyva (Fredy Montero 65′), Albert Rusnák, Cristian Roldan, Nico Lodeiro, Jordan Morris; Will Bruin (Leo Chu 58′)
Subs not used: Andrew Thomas, Jimmy Medranda, Josh Atencio, Ethan Dobbelaere
Total shots: 15
Shots on goal: 2
Corner Kicks: 10
Chicago Fire FC- Gaga Slonina; Boris Sekulic, Carlos Teran, Rafael Czichos, Jonathan Bornstein; Gastón Giménez (Mauricio Pineda 37′), Federico Navarro, Chris Mueller (Fabian Herbers 60′), Xherdan Shaqiri, Brian Gutierrez (Jairo Torres 60′); Kacper Przybylko (Chinonso Offor 83′)
Subs not used: Miguel Navarro, Jhon Espinoza, Stanislav Ivanov, Spencer Richey, Andre Reynolds
Total shots: 9
Shots on goal: 5
Corner Kicks: 6