Tarleton begins the regular season with a road trip to Arizona State
The teams: Tarleton Texans (0-0, 0-0 WAC) vs. Arizona State Sun Devils (0-0, 0-0 Pac-12)
Where: Tempe, Arizona
Arena: Desert Financial Arena
Day and time: Sunday, 6 p.m. CT
Broadcast platform: Pac-12 Arizona
Radio: ESPN 620 AM
ABOUT THE MATCHUP
- Monday’s game marks the first time Tarleton will face the Sun Devils in any sport.
- The game kicks off a long spell away from Wisdom Gym for Tarleton. Five of their first six games are on the road – including a trip to St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands, where the Texans will face Belmont and George Mason or Boston College.
- Both Tarleton and Arizona State finished the 2021-22 season ranked eighth in their respective conferences.
- Head Coach Billy Gillispie is entering his third season with Tarleton and has once again developed one of the toughest schedules in NCAA men’s college basketball.
- Tarleton head coach Billy Gillispie is 9-and-1 all-time in season openers, with his only loss coming last year against fellow Pac-12 team Stanford.
- The Texans have added several outstanding transfers from junior colleges to their roster this year, including two 1,000+ point scorers.
- Shakur Daniel scored a season-high 10 points against Pac-12 opponent Stanford last season.
- The Tarleton bench scored 58 points in their 84-48 win over UNT Dallas on Oct. 30, led by junior transfer Tydan Archibald and sophomore forward Garry Clark, each earning 15 points.
- Second year guard Shamir Bogue was named to the WAC All-Defensive Team, the first player in Tarleton history to be selected to the All-Defensive Team. He finished the 2021-22 season ranked third in the WAC in total steals with 55 and fourth in most steals per game at 1.8 SPG.
- Tarleton’s Freddy Hicks was the only Texan to receive WAC preseason honors, earning a spot on the All-WAC preseason second team. Hicks started all 31 games of the 2021-22 season scoring 20+ points seven times.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
- Tydan Archibald – Archibald totaled 15 points on 5-for-9 shooting and 3-for-5 from range in Tarleton’s exhibition against UNT Dallas. He had five rebounds, two rebounds and an assist in 26 minutes against the Trailblazers, coming off the bench on his Tarleton debut.
- Garry Clark – Clark scored 15 points off the bench in Tarleton’s exhibition against UNT Dallas, shooting 5 of 6 from the field, grabbing four rebounds and grabbing four assists as well. I went 1 for 1 beyond the arc and had a demanding presence in the paint. He is a transfer from Western Texas JC, where he averaged 18.2 points and 10.7 rebounds.
- Shakur Daniel – Shakur Daniel is not a new face for Tarleton fans, having played for the Texans the past two seasons. Daniel had nine points, six rebounds and four assists while playing the 40-minute exhibition against UNT Dallas.
NUMBERS TO KNOW FROM LAST SEASON
- 2: Tarleton LEDs by 2 POINTS at halftime of their Nov. 9, 2021 game against Stanford, the last Pac-12 opponent the Texans faced in men’s basketball. The Cardinal ultimately won the game with a disparate advantage at the free throw line, shooting 22 times to the Texans’ three.
- 12: The Texans have finished 12th NATIONALLY revenue margin in the 2021-22 season with a ratio of 4.1. Tarleton forced opponents to return the ball more than 505 times in 31 games last season.
- 17.5: FORCED NUMBERS PER MATCH by Tarleton under the guidance of head coach Billy Gillispie. In total, the Texans have turned teams more than 894 times in 51 games under Gillispie.
- 22: POINTS was the greatest GAIN THE MARGIN the Texans were successful in the 2021-22 season with a 67-45 victory over the Air Force on December 21. Tarleton forced 18 turnovers and caught nine interceptions while shooting 25 of 43 (.581) from the field.
NEXT FOR TARLETON
The Texans will play their regular-season home opener on Thursday, Nov. 10, to take on Kansas Christian College. This will be Tarleton’s first game against the Falcons for all sports. The last team the Texans faced from Kansas was Wichita State on Nov. 16, 2021, which they will have another shot at dominating on Nov. 26 of this season.