Trolley Hug, Ride Thief, Mailbox Marketing | San Juan County Sheriff’s Log
The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office responded to the following calls.
• A deputy of Lopez responded to a call for citizen assistance. A citizen reported frequent reckless driving behavior at the south end. A report has been taken, and the patrol will be increased.
• A deputy responded to a report of theft/shoplifting at a local business. Upon arrival, the deputy found the appellant waiting with the involved suspect. The stolen property was recovered, the company declined to prosecute, and a Trespassing Letter was issued to the suspect.
• A deputy from San Juan took a report of a possible cryptocurrency scam.
• A Lopez’s assistant responded to a lost and found call. A boat that was moored to a buoy had disappeared. The citizen informed the Coast Guard, the dispatcher registered the vessel as missing and the deputy wrote a report.
• A deputy from San Juan spoke with a citizen about an individual intrusion into their store.
• An Orcas assistant investigated a fraud report. No suspicious information was available.
• A deputy from San Juan became aware of a fraudulent phone call a citizen received from a person posing as the county attempting to serve papers. The citizen provided no additional information and suffered no monetary loss.
• Dispatch was notified by Skagit County that a stolen boat was heading to Lopez and the Coast Guard arrested the boat thief before he arrived on the island.
• An investigation continues into a citizen’s complaint for the theft of a golf cart.
• A Lopez assistant responded to a company regarding a theft complaint. A customer had left the store without paying for his items. The customer returned the items and said he did not want to take the items without paying for them. He committed a criminal trespass in the store.
• A deputy from San Juan responded to an agency report for assistance. The investigation is ongoing.
• A Lopez’s assistant was called to hang up 911. The owner of the phone was located and said his phone was malfunctioning.
• An Orcas Deputy responded to a report of a burglary on Main Street. An investigation has been conducted and a report indicates that an unknown suspect stole approximately $600 worth of tools from a construction site.
• An Orcas assistant investigated burglaries at several businesses in downtown Eastsound. The forced entry was made in the companies but no loss was suffered. The investigation is ongoing.
• Lopez EMS and a deputy responded to a driver who suffered a medical episode and left the road.
• A deputy from San Juan responded to a report of theft from a hangar on private property. The item was listed as stolen and the case documented. There is no suspicious information, nor any actionable leads.
• A deputy responded to a report of an assault on San Juan. The victim said he was pushed in the chest by an elderly lady in the gravel pit area on Pear Point Road. The victim was unharmed, refused to help with the prosecution, and simply wanted the incident documented.
• In San Juan, the Deputy Reporter was contacted in reference to a possible breach of order. The caller has an order against a neighbor. After speaking with the person and checking the area, it didn’t seem like a violation.
• A deputy from San Juan was dispatched for a robbery. The caller reported a theft from a local business and provided a description of the vehicle and a suspect.
• MPs responded to a harassment call near Eastsound. The suspect was found and arrested.
• When a San Juan deputy stopped the driver of a vehicle because the driver was not wearing a seatbelt, he was also found to have a suspended driver’s license. Tickets were issued for non-insurance and for not wearing a seat belt and the report will be sent to the prosecution for a decision to charge.
• A deputy from San Juan arrested the driver of a vehicle because the owner did not have a driver’s license. The driver was issued a ticket for not having insurance and the substitute’s report will be sent to the prosecution for a decision to charge him with driving with a suspended license in the third degree.
• A resident of Lopez reported the theft of eggs from a farm stall. Efforts will be made to identify the suspect.
• An Orcas assistant recovered a bicycle found in Buck Park. The bike has been reserved in the substation as found property.
• A citizen of Lopez handed over a lost driver’s license found on the side of the road. A Lopez deputy located the owner and returned the license. The owner mentioned that the license fell out of his pocket while he was riding his bike.
A deputy has been dispatched to a vehicle patrol in the Eastsound area. It was later determined that a family member had moved the items and no crime had been committed.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of a traffic hazard involving an abandoned vehicle blocking the roadway. The deputy located another vehicle driving to the scene with the original driver, who had stalled the car. Both drivers had suspended licenses and a report will be sent to the prosecutor for charging.
• A San Juan deputy responded to a report of suspicious activity in a cluster of mailboxes where a suspect placed business cards in some mailboxes. The suspect has been contacted and a report has been written.
• A deputy from San Juan responded to a report of violation of order. The MP’s report was forwarded to the prosecutor’s office for a charge.
• A deputy of Lopez carried out a traffic stop on Mud Bay Road. The driver received a speeding ticket and an expired registration warning.
• In San Juan, a deputy was sent in a suspicious circumstance. An unidentified caller said someone doused themselves in gasoline and threatened to harm themselves. The deputy contacted the person who said he had no intention of harming himself.
• A deputy was dispatched to report an undesirable person in the Friday Harbor area. The deputy arrived and made contact with the person. The person said they would sleep in their vehicle for the night.
• A San Juan deputy took a report of a no-injury crash between a school bus with no children on board and a sedan.
• A deputy Lopez has been notified of a missing person. The person was found near his home and returned safely.
• A deputy from San Juan spoke with a citizen who wanted to rape a person who lives off the island. The deputy was able to contact the individual and the letter of intrusion was served.
• An Orcas deputy was dispatched to a property found call in the Eastsound area. The property has been recovered and a report has been made.